Last Updated on
Having the right backpack can make a huge difference to your comfort and enjoyment when you’re out fly fishing. So if you’re looking for the perfect backpack for that big trip  you’re planning, look no further!
With a range of brand, prices, and features and tried-and-tested packs that all get top ratings, you’ll be sure to find the perfect fishing backpack for you.
What To Look For?
So what makes a backpack perfect for fishing? Well, here’s the quick answer: they should offer great storage, amazing comfort, and be durable enough to stand up to heavy use.
Now let’s dig a little deeper into the features you should be looking for when you’re choosing your new fishing backpack, whether you’re buying from a store or online from Amazon.
Pack Storage Space & Compartments
This refers not only to the size of the pack but also to the pockets on the bag and where it’s possible to hang any attachments off the pack too. It’s important to check just how much space you get in the main compartment – is it one large space, or is it divided into smaller sections?
A bag that has lots of pockets and compartments makes it easier to keep track of all your items. You’ll be able to access them more quickly and you won’t ever have to dump everything out just to locate that one elusive item that’s slipped down to the bottom of the bag.
However, if the backpack is too small, you might not be able to fit more bulky gear in. Ideally, look for a pack with a large storage volume as well as smaller pockets for your loose items and accessories.
You’re going to be wearing this backpack for several hours or more at once, so you want it to fit you well and be comfortable to wear. Look for adjustable straps, padded shoulder straps and back pad to avoid undue stresses and strains on your back .
Another good feature is mesh on the straps and back panel, as it allows the air to flow and for your skin to breathe. This is essential if you’re heading out on a warm summer’s day!
If you take your phone or camera out on the water with you, you’ll definitely want to look for a waterproof fishing backpack. Whether you’re wading, in a boat, or standing on the shore, a waterproof backpack is always a good thing to look out for.
Some bags come with a waterproof rain cover, whereas other bags themselves are water-resistant or fully waterproof. Don’t overestimate a water-resistant backpack – if it takes a dip in the water, your gear will still end up soaking.
If you want a bag that is completely sealed and waterproof, double check the class of waterproofing the bag offers. Some packs have been designed with kayaking in mind, so they’re also a good choice for a fishing backpack that will keep your gear and gadgets dry as a bone, no matter how deep you go.
You might have thought of waterproof fabric, but it’s a good idea to check that the zippers are waterproof too. Zippers can often be the weak point of a backpack. You don’t want them to break or get stuck, so make sure they are strong and high-quality before buying.
Everyone has a different budget, and there are some awesome bags out there for every price range. If you’re buying online, make sure to factor in the cost of shipping when you check price. When you’re looking for the best deals, make sure to check price both online and in your nearby fishing shop to see what will get you the lowest price (and don’t forget shipping costs).
You want a strong, durable bag made of sturdy fabric that can stand up to everything you throw at it. If you’re hiking through wild undergrowth to get to your next fishing spot, it’s important to have a bag that won’t tear easily. Take a close look at the seams to check the craftsmanship and see if the backpack is well-made
Our Reviews Of The Best Fishing Backpack
Looking for the best fishing bag? We’ve got you covered! Check out our reviews below:
Piscifun Fishing Tackle
The Piscifun Fishing Tackle Backpack comes with a whole range of features designed to make your fishing trips go smoothly. With loads of zipper pockets in a range of sizes, there’s the perfect spot for every item and you won’t need to go digging through the main bag to find something.
There’s even a retractable water bottle pocket and a hard case to keep your sunglasses in! The main compartment is large, with a removable clapboard that you can take out if you need space for bulkier tackle and other items.
The Piscifun backpack is incredibly comfortable thanks to the ergonomic design, padded back and padded shoulder straps, even if you’re carrying a lot of weight or wearing it all day. You can adjust the straps to get the perfect fit for your shape and size, so you won’t feel the strain after a day out at the river.
It’s also lightweight and hard-wearing, able to stand up to all the elements and the harshest environments. Complete with a protective rain cover for heavy rain, and constructed from tough, sturdy material, the Piscifun backpack is sure to see you through and last a long time.
- Lots of handy zipper pockets to keep your things neat, organized, and easy to find
- Comes with a rain cover to keep your gear dry even in the wettest conditions
- Rubber feet hold the bag out of water, mud, and dirt
- Durable and hard-wearing
- One of the more expensive fishing backpacks, coming in at around $100
- If you put the tackle boxes in the lower compartment, there’s not much space for other fishing gear in the main pocket.
- Inner lining is a bit flimsy and prone to tears.
Chaos Ready Brand Waterproof
If you’re looking for waterproof fishing backpacks, then the Chaos Ready Waterproof Backpack might be just the top one for you! It’s ideal for fly fishing, as even if you get caught in the rain or even fall over and fully submerge your bag, your gear, phone, and camera will all stay dry and safe. It’s one of the best waterproof fishing bags for such an affordable price.
The Chaos Ready backpack has two mesh pockets on the side of the bag, plus a small zipped pocket on the front (which isn’t completely waterproof). Otherwise, all your gear goes into the main compartment, which can be a bit annoying when you’re looking for a specific item and it’s got stuck under everything else. However, this bag looks cool, is comfortable, and gets the job done.
- With Class 3 Waterproof protection, your gear and gadgets will be kept safe and dry.
- Great low price for an excellent quality fishing backpack
- 2 exterior mesh pockets to keep your water bottle handy
- These waterproof fishing backpacks all come with a lifetime warranty!
- Customer feedback suggests that the straps seem to be a weak point and may snap after repeated heavy use.
- The front pocket isn’t waterproof, so make sure you don’t put anything valuable here.
- With just two mesh pockets on the outside and no inner pockets, all your gear is stored together in the main comprartment, making it harder to find things.
Prospo 40L Assault
The Prospo brand 40L Assault Backpack has amazing storage, featuring D loops and MOLLE system webbing, which has the benefits of allowing you to attach extra bags if you need to. With an expandable width, you really can carry everything you need for that awesome fly fishing trip you’ve been planning for weeks.
You’ll be able to keep all your supplies tidy and organized with the many pockets on this awesome backpack. The shoulder straps are breathable and padded, meaning you’ll feel comfortable and cool all day. The Prospo 40L is made from incredibly strong military backpack material that is both scratch- and water-resistant, so it should last you for a long time.
- Great low price for one of the top fishing backpacks around
- Customizable, with webbing on the front and side – you can add as many attachments as you like. Perfect for all your smaller items that you want to keep handy!
- A spacious, expandable bag that can fit all your plastic containers easily
- Lots of pockets for all your fishing essentials
- The removable waist strap can fall off if it’s not properly attached.
- As the main compartment is divided into three smaller sections, it can be hard to fit in larger items.
Whether you’re fishing at the river, fishpond, or lake, the Spiderwire Fishing Backpack will be a trusty companion. Featuring a cooler compartment for your food, a handy chest strap which helps take some of the weight off your shoulders, and a sunglass case pocket, they really have thought of everything with this pack, from the attractive design to the affordable pricing.
It even comes with three tackle boxes included! The rod holders also do their job well, keeping your rods secure and safe at all times. Without a doubt, the Spiderwire is definitely among the best-fishing backpacks on the market right now.
- Attractive design with lots of great features
- The cooler compartment will keep your lunch and drinks cool – a great addition!
- The chest strap makes this one of the most comfortable fishing backpacks, by evenly distributing the weight of the bag across the body.
- Loads of room for all your gear, tackle boxes, and more.
- 3 sturdy tackle boxes are included with this pack
- The zippers can be temperamental and tricky to open if you slightly overfill the pack
The Shimano Fishing Backpack is another excellent example of one of the best fishing packs around. This bag can stand up to heavy use, whether you’re hiking through wild undergrowth to get to the stream or wearing it outside and exposed to the elements all day.
With two different sizes, the Compact and the Medium, you can select the size and width that suits you and your needs. You’ll have easy access to all your essentials and accessories thanks to the clever zippered pockets on the side and front, and a separate compartment for holding your utility boxes.
- Designed specifically to meet the needs of anglers well
- More spacious than a sling bag and more comfortable too
- Built in rod holders and two utility boxes are included
- You’ll love the pockets on this one – ideal for storing all your accessories
- Hard-wearing fabric and comfortable padded shoulders make the Shimano backpack a winner
- The benefits of having a chest strap are lost, as it’s too short to do up
- This backpack doesn’t sit in the right position on some people depending on their size and body, hanging low down on the back and making it uncomfortable to wear for long periods of time
- The backpack itself is quite heavy even before you put anything in it
FE Active 30L Waterproof
If you’re looking for waterproof fishing bags, this one is among the best fishing packs on the market that you can buy! Not only will it protect from splashes, but will keep all your supplies dry even if it is fully submerged in water. Designed for all sorts of water sports from kayaking to boating and paddle-boarding, this is one bag that you can rely on.
The FE Active 30L Backpack is constructed from eco-friendly PVC tarpaulin which is both durable and strong. With more storage than a sling bag, this roomy bag is ideal for full days out at the fishpond.
- Really lightweight – under 2lbs
- Shoulder straps are padded for comfort and have mesh lining to keep you cool
- Cord loops on the front exterior for extra attachments
- If sealed correctly, this bag is completely waterproof and will even keep your electronics safe if completely submerged
- The low pricing makes this bag a great buy if you’re on a budget
- Some comments suggest that the seams on this bag are weaker than you’d expect and can fray.
- This pack doesn’t have a waist belt to spread the weight more evenly across the body.
- The water bottle pockets are small and don’t hold the bottle well
- With no inner and outer pockets for storing your smaller items, they can easily get buried at the bottom of the bag
Whether you buy from the store or Amazon, you’ll be sure to get the best-fishing pack if you choose one from our list of highly recommended fly fishing backpacks.
We’ve chosen brands and models that meet all your requirements, offering great storage, durability, waterproof or water-resistant material, and more. They’ve all been tried and tested and got great ratings! I hope you’ve enjoyed this article and found it helpful in choosing your next backpack for fishing on the fly!
Feel free to leave us your comments and let us know what you think, and which backpack you use for fishing. We always love to hear your feedback!