In our opinion, the best nippers are the ones from Orvis. They are made in the USA , have replaceable blades, require much less force than standard nippers and have the eye cleaning needle hidden out of the way too. They are not your ordinary pair of nippers.
I’ve had a pair of these for about the past 5 years of at least weekly fishing in both saltwater and freshwater. I used to go through a pair of cheaper nippers every season, but considering just how much you rely on these little things, it’s worth the investment. Here are my top 4 picks if you’re in a hurry:
|Orvis Nippers|| ||Check Today's Price|
|Loon Nippers|| ||Check Today's Price|
|Dr Slick Nippers|| ||Check Today's Price|
|Hatch Nippers|| ||Check Today's Price|
Other Detailed Nippers Reviews
Fly fishing nippers are important accessories. Many people get into the habit of cutting their lines and tippets with their teeth, and this can end up causing serious damage to your teeth.
Fishing without this tool is extremely frustrating since you will need to cut the lines many times in a single day. It is important to go for good quality nippers since the lines need to be cut smoothly. Here are our reviews:
Orvis Nippers – Best High Quality
This fly line nipper is made in the USA, and it uses 6061-T6 aluminium. An Orvis nipper has a replaceable cutter and anvil, and this helps with the retention of the edges. Their nippers will stay as sharp as they are on the day you unbox them.
Both cutters are also corrosion-resistant. The cutter-and-anvil design used to make the cutters also helps them stay sharp for a very long time. This product has an ergonomic design which provides a mechanical advantage.
Orvis nippers are also designed with replaceable stainless steel eye-cleaning needles.
- It is developed with replaceable cutters and eye-cleaning needles.
- It is manufactured in the US by the oldest and most innovative fly-fishing accessory manufacturer.
- The stainless steel eye cleaner is designed to clean saltwater hooks in addition to size 24 Tricos.
- The cutters are weather resistant and are designed to retain their sharpness for a very long time. The body of the nippers features the same level of corrosion resistance found on aerospace parts. It is made from aluminum.
- It is larger than the average nipper. That means you will take some time to appreciate the design of the product.
Boomerang Tool Company – Best Budget Friendly
This tool is made in the USA, and it is designed with a 36-inch retractable nylon tether. A unique construction like this helps to ensure that the snips are always on your side.
The tool also comes with a carabiner attachment which can be used to attach the snips to any part of your cloth. A simple tool, it’s made using 400 series serrated stainless steel blades that can cut fluoro, braids, and mono lines easily.
To show their confidence in their tool, the manufacturers have offered a 1-year limited warranty. You can also return the product within 30 days if you are unsatisfied with its performance.
- It is made using high-quality stainless steel. You should, therefore, expect clean and smooth cuts.
- It is designed with a retractable nylon tether so that the snips can never get lost in the water. The retraction force has been tested to more than a million pulls.
- The manufacturer offers a 1-year limited warranty on the product. If it fails within this period, you can get a replacement as long as you have proof of purchase.
- The snipper is uncomfortable to use, particularly because you have to unlock it to cut.
Booms Fishing X1 – Best Combo Tool
This is a compound tool that can be used in freshwater and saltwater fishing. It is primarily used to split rings and remove hooks. Anyone can use this tool safely for this purpose.
As line nippers go, this accessory can perfectly slice through tough braid lines. It generally has an ergonomic design and offers a comfortable grip. The handle of the pliers is made using aluminium, and this means it is very lightweight.
The tool uses springs to keep the pliers open when not in use. You can easily operate the tool with a single hand.
- This highly functional tool is affordable.
- It is lightweight.
- It has an ergonomic design and generally provides comfort when cutting lines.
- It is safe to use, regardless of your level of experience in using these tools.
- It can be used for a wide range of functions, including crimping split lead and holding objects firmly.
- It is made using anodized aluminium, meaning it is corrosion resistant. It can be used in freshwater and saltwater environments.
- The line cutter is quite small. In the dark, you will have a hard time cutting your lines.
How to Choose Fly Fishing Nippers
Here are some factors to consider when choosing fishing nippers:
Quality of the blades
The blades should be sharp and corrosion-resistant. Always check if there is a guarantee that the blades will remain sharp for a long time. Blunt blades will cut the lines, but the cut will not be smooth. This will cause problems when you try to drive the line through the eye of the hook.
Some nippers are very highly-priced. This is usually because of the extra features. Typically, these nippers are very high in quality. However, if you are only fishing casually for short periods in the year, you don’t really need these expensive tools. A mid-range product will comfortably complete the task. It is best to avoid cheap products since they are usually made of poor quality materials or have serious design flaws.
Some nipper tools are developed to be highly versatile. They can do more than just cut lines. Such accessories can be quite costly, but they are convenient. You will not need to carry many tools when you go fishing since they will be held in a single accessory.
A good quality product is always backed by a generous warranty. On average, you should expect a one-year warranty for a premium nipper. If the product is expensive, the manufacturer should also offer a money-back guarantee.
Your nipper tool should have an ergonomic design. This will offer comfort when cutting the lines.
A nipper tool can potentially injure a person, especially if the person has not used many nippers before. It is best to examine the safety features of the tool before choosing one. This is especially important if you are buying the tool for a child.
Place of manufacture
Generally, tools which are manufactured in the USA are of high quality and are cruelty-free.
Some fly line nippers are designed to be very large, and that makes it hard to carry them around. It is also uncomfortable to handle large nippers.
Types of lines it can cut
There are several types of lines, and they all have different textures and levels of toughness. Your nippers should be able to cut all types of lines, or at least the one you mostly use.
Fly line nippers are important to all fishermen. You cannot cut the lines with sharp rocks, your teeth, or even fingernail nippers. Even though we’ve all tried!
The is because the cut has to be smooth enough for the line to comfortably go through the eye of the hook. When shopping for these products, you need to check the quality of the material used in construction.
Some high-end nippers use aero-grade materials to manufacture the nippers, and that ensures that you get clean cuts all year round. These products will typically last for a very long time. You also need to consider the price of the product.
Most casual fishermen will be comfortable with mid-range products. You can consider buying one of the three products reviewed above as they fulfil all the conditions of a good nipper.
Hey, I’m Ben, a fly fisherman for over 20 years and also an aspiring blogger. I’ve been into fly fishing since my graduation from spin fishing when I was 12 years old. I started flyfisherpro.com to help introduce as many people into this amazing sport. Tight lines everyone!
You can read more on our about page here.
Last Updated on